Pages

Monday 2 November 2009

The day of (forced) rest.... no one forces me to do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I am the laughing stock of my new group of friends  - one of whom texted me on Saturday to ask 'what are you up to tomorrow?' to which I innocently and truthfully replied 'probably another trip to Ikea followed by a flat-pack assembly session'.    Next time I saw 'the group' I wondered what all the sniggering was about until one of them eventually asked me...'so, how far did you get until you realised Ikea doesn't open on Sundays here, and nobody does any kind of DIY on a Sunday!  In some cantons (that's like a borough btw) you can get fined for making too much noise on a Sunday'.....

JESUS!  I'm surprised Swiss people even fart on a Sunday!!!

Anyway - needless to say I didn't get very far - Dan kindly informed me as I was donning my coat and (heeled) boots with my 'come on, lets hop to it' expression, mini pencil and paper measuring tape at the ready, that Ikea, and every other shop in the whole city was shut on a Sunday except for those in the main train station.

So, after an enjoyable yet somewhat surreal afternoon in the train station, including lunch in a train station restaurant, and the purchase of some much-needed hosiery in the train station equivalent of Sock Shop, I at least managed to achieve the tiniest glimmer of Sunday retail therapy, albeit a barely-there one.....




Anyway - luckily Ikea reopened on the Monday, and then the only dilemma we were faced with was whether to go to Ikea Dietikon or Ikea Dietlikon - yes, they are 2 different stores.  In different parts of Switzerland.  Separated by just an L in name.... not confusing at all??  Especially as most of the other towns here end in '...kon' (pronounced 'corn') or '...egg' (pronounced 'egg').... I'll talk about that another time.

0 comments: