Pages

Friday 30 October 2009

First impressions....

Ok - so we have arrived at our new apartment - all the way I have been worrying where we are going to put all of our 'stuff'... and now we're here and OMG, the loft (which isn't a hole in the ceiling that you have to climb a ladder to get into like in England - no, it is a whole other FLAT upstairs which is bigger than my flat in London) is huge, and we haven't even filled a quarter of it.  Then there's the cellar (which isn't a low-ceilinged, damp, scary basement thingy - its yet another whole FLAT which is bigger than mine in London)... so needless to say I could have happily lived in either the cellar or the loft and we could have started our money saving scheme a whole lot earlier!

What else have I noticed in my first week in Switzerland?  Oh yeah - the transport!  I started off the week with a train journey into work - I was 7 minutes early to the platform and the train was sitting there - waiting for me!!  Getting into my American Footballer mode - elbows out, ready to tackle anyone that tried to push on in front of me, snarl on my face... felt a bit wrong when the closest person was a whole carriage distance away.  Still, old habits die hard and I positioned myself right at the edge of the platform, feet a couple of millimetres over the edge just waiting for the almighty push from behind of a million people as soon as the train arrived.... nothing... not even a teeny weeny prod!  In fact a man even jogged up to me in a bit of a panic to tell me (or at least I assumed that's what he was saying) that I was far too near the edge and should stand behind the line.... which was so far away from the edge I almost had to get a bus from it to to the train!...

Then I got on it and was so overwhelmed by all of the clean, empty seats that I couldn't pick one to sit in - I went to 3 seats before I eventually chose one to sit in.  For a Londoner like me, used to arriving at work looking like you've just been mugged, hair like a banshee, sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish market, feeling like you need a week in the Priory - it was quite disconcerting to arrive at my stop feeling so chilled out and still with my hair in the same style I put it in before I left the house.....!  great.  I think I am going to get used to this place....

0 comments: